statement of faith
1. The Bible, consisting of all the books of the Old and New Testaments, is the Word of God, a supernaturally given revelation from God Himself, concerning Himself, His being, nature, character, will and purposes; and concerning man, his nature, need, duty and destiny. The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are without error or misstatement in their moral and spiritual teaching and record of historical facts. They are without error or defect of any kind.
2. There is one and only one living and true God. He reveals Himself to us as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal characteristics but without division of His nature, essence or being.
3. Man is the special creation of God, made in His own image; male and female. Every person of every race is worthy of respect and Christian love.
4. All people fall short of God's laws; no one is "good enough" for heaven. The actions of people have caused a break in our relationship to God that we can not bridge or repair by our own efforts.
5. Only God is able to bridge the gap. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16) God chose to suffer the penalty Himself for our misdeeds.
6. Baptism is the immersion of a believer in water. It is an act of obedience symbolizing: the believer's faith in a crucified, buried and risen Savior; the believer's death to sin, the burial of the old life and the resurrection to walk in newness of life in Christ Jesus.
For more on what Baptists believe go to www.sbc.net/basicbeliefs or pick up The Baptist Faith & Message booklet from the literature rack in our lobby.